We offer a 3-year full-time postdoctoral position in remote sensing, biogeography, and spatial ecology. The candidate will join the team of the Dpt. of Spati@LSgjguggs at the Faculty of Environmental Sciences of the Czech University of Life Sciences in Prague, Czech Republic.
The postdoctoral project will focus on monitoring and modelling biodiversity using remote sensing data. We are interested in how biodiversity (and its facets) changes in space and time, and in finding biodiversity indicators derived from remote sensing data for large areas (e.g. countries or national parks) that can be updated in a relatively short time. The research will constitute a part of our ongoing national and international projects, supported for example by the Horizon Europe and the Technology Agency of the Czech Republic, focused on the development and application of remote sensing indicators for assessing biodiversity in silvicultural landscape. The postdoctoral project can focus on remote sensing data as proxies for biodiversity (we are particularly interested in pros and cons of the spectral species concept and the spectral variability hypotheses), but also on their use in species distribution models. Besides, the use of species distribution models brings with it a number of pitfalls and unresolved methodological issues. These include, for example, the choice of spatial resolution, autocorrelation, positional error, or spatial bias of the input data. Therefore, the research can also include purely methodological topics. The project will use existing species diversity data with a broad taxonomic focus; it will, however, concentrate primarily on terrestrial plants, vertebrates, and insects. The work will be mostly computational and include data processing, modeling and simulations (in R, GIS, Python, or similar) using openly available data, with an emphasis on data from both active (LiDAR, RADAR) and passive (multispectral, hyperspectral) sensors.
We value originality, independence, and initiative, and we encourage applicants to propose their own research ideas. During the 3 years, the postdoc will have our support to work on their own grant or fellowship applications. Apart from the dissemination of scientific results via journal publications and conferences, we expect the postdoc to participate in workshops and training; there will also be teaching opportunities.
- PhD in remote sensing, ecology, geography, bioinformatics, environmental sciences, or related field. PhDs in computer science, mathematics, physics, or statistics will be also considered.
- Ability to publish in peer-reviewed journals.
- Experience with spatial/geographical data.
- Experience with statistical analyses and simulations in R, Python, or similar environment.
- We welcome applicants of all genders, cultures, backgrounds, or ages. We believe that a diverse team will broaden the perspective and enhance creativity.
- Gross salary of 40 000 CZK/month, which is approx. 32 110 CZK/month net; the net salary, however, depends on family situation and other circumstances. Median salary in the Czech Republic at the end of 2019 was approx. 31,000 CZK/month gross. Costs of living are generally lower than in Westem Europe (see https://www.sreality.cz/en for the costs of accommodation).
- Medical insurance as a standard part of the employment contract.
- Bonus payments for high-quality publications.
- Resources for travel to conferences or workshops abroad. State of the art scientific equipment, software, access to journals and scientific databases.
- International working environment (the working language is English), green spacious campus in Suchdol in the outskirts of Prague, 30 min to Prague city center by public transportation or bike.
- Starting date: September 2022 — October 2022, later dates are negotiable.
To apply, please contact me by email attaching in a single .pdf file of MB:
- Motivation letter, including why do you see yourself as a good fit, your ideas about what you’d like to work on, and where do you see yourself and your research in the future.
Your CV including your publications and any other relevant outputs (code repositories, reports, your personal website,
- Contact details for 2-3 academic referees, e.g. your former supervisor, boss, or collaborator.
Review of applications will begin on 15 th of August 2022, and will continue until the position is filled.
Chcete-li požádat o tuto práci napište podrobnosti na firstname.lastname@example.org